About the Boys & Girls Clubs
“To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.”
It’s a tough time to be a kid. There are pressures of peers, drugs, gangs, broken homes and overcrowding and the disadvantages circumstances of poor education, low income, unemployment, poor homes where love and attention are lacking. At the Boys & Girls Club, there is a place a child can go to get away. Away from those pressures and temptations. A place for some fun and companionship or just to hang out. And more often than not, once a child becomes a member, their life is positively changed forever.
The purpose is to help young people ages 6-17 improve their lives by building self-esteem and developing values and skills during their critical period of growth. Services and programs provided focus on everything from education, social recreation, health and physical education, to leadership and citizenship development, cultural enrichment, and personal adjustment with one-on-one counseling. The mission of the Boys & Girls Clubs is to assure and to enhance the quality of life for children as participating members of a diverse urban society
Events like the Dunn’s Run help offset those cost so a child is given a chance at a positive life.
We achieve our mission by promoting 3 core programs for member development:
- Academic Success: Increase grade level advancement of Club members. Reduce high school dropout rates
- Good Character and Citizenship: Increase community service participation of Club members. Reduce juvenile crime rates.
- Healthy Lifestyles: Increase healthy behaviors of Club members. Decrease drug use and obesity rates.
Our National Alumni
Shaquille O’Neal, Alex Rodriguez, Brad Pitt, Kerry Washington, Michael Jordan, President Clinton, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Martin Sheen, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah, Derek Jeter and Denzel Washington.
Today more than 4.2 million young people are served annually through membership and community outreach. There are more than 4,000 facilities throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands plus domestic and international military bases. These Clubs are staffed by over 50,000 trained employees.
Hours of Operation
Year Round: 8:30am-5:00pm
School in Session: 2:00pm-8:00pm
School Breaks: 9:00am-5:00pm
Summer Break: 9:00am-5:00pm
Days of Operation: Monday- Friday
Membership is open to all boys and girls ages 6-18. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County Inc. will provide an equal opportunity for all clients to receive access to services regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion or national origin.
There is a $15 annual membership fee. The fee must be paid for each prospective member applying for membership. Some scholarships are available based on need. The Club membership runs from: September 1 to August 31.
877 Northwest 61st Street
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33309
Click here for map
Why we are Unique
- BEST PRACTICE prevention program model for over 100 years.
- Prevention Programs “keep something from happening”; namely, juvenile arrests.
- National statistics document an average of 46% reduction in juvenile arrests in locations where Boys & Girls Clubs have opened.
- Staff are (a) mentors (b) nurturers and cultivate trust (c) tolerant and non-judgmental to members’ culture and language all crucial for members’ success.
- Low employee turnover.
- Annual membership fee is $15.00 with no user fees for any of our activities.
* The emphasis is the best practice model- prevention, cost, and quality/longevity of staff.
Power in Numbers
- $550,000+ = cost to financially support (1) Boys & Girls Clubs facility.
- $800 = cost to the BGCBC to serve a child in our facility for a year.
- $15 = membership to the BGCBC.
- 10,000 = number of youth served in Broward County.
- 11 = Number of Broward County Club facilities: Davie, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Lauderhill, West Park, Deerfield Beach, North Lauderdale and Pompano Beach.
- 45 = years Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County has been established.
- 46 = percentage of reduced crime and juvenile arrests in locations where the Boys & Girls Clubs have a facility.
- 80 = percentage of Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County members graduate from High School compared to the 66% of young people in America.
- 3 = Core programs for member development: Academic Success, Good Character and Citizenship, Healthy Lifestyles.